Sunday, April 15, 2012

Final Blog

   Well, it's done-150 hours of LIS 489 Practicum. It was a great experience and I enjoyed working with the Biloxi Library staff, it just was very hard working 6 days a week. I'm too old for that part of it. I was prepared for the keeping  the books and those DVD's in order(attempting anyway) , the assisting patrons young and old alike and the general workings of a library. I was able to put into practice what I had learned over the past several years. Seeing the homeless men and women who make the library their home during business hours brought what I had learned in Information Ethics a couple of summers ago back to my mind. Also, from that class it helped listening to the questions asked of those wanting to use the meeting rooms so that it was fair to all patrons. Some groups were a bit surprised when the Head Librarian asked them questions about their organization to see if they qualified to use the rooms. No one was turned down, but they thought they could just walk in a reserve a meeting room without explaining what they were about.


   For this last day I worked I mainly assisted Liz with putting up a new bulletin board in the Children's area to carry her through the rest of April and May, preparing for the Summer Reading program starting in June. Then we sorted items from when we went shopping for her craft projects for story times for May. She is so organized it is amazing. She has everything ready for the whole month of May, by weekly sessions in little tubs. So, when the week comes up she just pulls out the tub and the craft project is ready to go. Working with Liz helped me to see how useful the class I took last summer with Dr. Creel, Special Problems in Library Programming would be for working with children.


   That's it for now, last blog for my practicum.

No comments:

Post a Comment